Powell 9k Aurumite Handmade Conservatory RBOE Flute
The Aurumite 9K Conservatory is one of the most celebrated and well-loved flutes in our catalog. The evolution of our former 3100 model, the Aurumite 9K Conservatory has an exterior layer of 9K Rose Gold with an interior layer of Sterling Silver. The sound is sunny and animated. It features a pinless mechanism and our Modern Powell scale with drawn tone holes, made with our patented method for extruding tone holes. This method results in a beautiful tone hole with a perfectly flat edge for the best pad seal. The headjoint on this flute features an Aurumite 9K tube, Sterling Silver riser, 9K Rose Gold lip plate, and Sterling Silver Crown.
The Powell 9k Aurumite Handmade Conservatory flute (previously the 3100) is a popular choice of flute with players who are looking for a richer, darker sound than the Silver Handmade Conservatory, whilst keeping the free-blowing and excellent projective attributes of the Powell sound. Powell Handmade Conservatory models are lighter and offer less resistance than the comparable Handmade Custom model.
Aurumite is a combination of silver and gold, two sheets of which are fused to produce an interlocking layer. This effectively produces a 'sleeve' of gold. This is not plating or bonding, but equal layers of each metal. The result is a sound with qualities of both gold and silver - responsive and full.
- Lumina: Powell's newest style of headjoint, the Lumina has style and panache. Supple yet responsive, it moves quickly throughout the range with little effort. This headjoint’s clean and energetic sound is the perfect complement to our more classic styles.
- Philharmonic: A traditional cut, capable of broad dynamic ranges, and creating a deep rich tone with extraordinary carrying power and focus.
- Soloist: Open and free in the top octave, rich and deep in the middle and bottom octaves, with great projection and flexibility.
- Venti: A very colourful and rich headjoint designed in conjunction with Paul Edmund Davies. It is open, has a large dynamic range, and possesses an especially free high register.
In 1916, Verne Powell joined the Wm. S. Haynes Company to make wooden flutes and piccolos. By 1926, he was the shop foreman and was running much of the business at Haynes; later that year, he left Haynes to make his own flutes and Verne Q. Powell Flutes, Inc. was incorporated.
The instruments were immediately recognized as the very best a flutist could play and endorsements flowed in from flutists around the globe. In 1928, he completed his first all 14K Gold flute; soon piccolos and alto flutes were added. By 1930 the brand had representation in the Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Baltimore, and New York Orchestras. There were flutes which had a life of their own; #365 the “World’s Fair” Platinum flute of William Kincaid, #900 the only flute ever made entirely of 14K White Gold, #1142 the “Signature” Flute.
In 2016 Verne Q. Powell Flutes, Inc. was purchased by Buffet Crampon, joining nine other brands of wind instruments to complete the largest group of wind instrument manufacturers in the world.
Hover over the styled text for a short definition, or click for a more detailed explanation.
- Fully handmade 9k Aurumite headjoint with 9k red lip-plate and riser
- Fully handmade 9k Aurumite body
- Fully handmade .925 solid mechanism
- Custom headjoint with choice of cut: Lumina, Philharmonic, Soloist or Venti
- Drawn tone holes
- 10k white gold springs
- French-style 'pointed' key-arms
- Straubinger pads
- Pinless mechanism
- E ring as standard, with the option to upgrade this to an E mechanism on the offset model
- Open holes as standard, which can be converted to closed holes using Powell PlugOs
- Leather-bound wood case
- Leather pochette case cover
- Wood cleaning rod
- Microfibre polishing cloth
Perfect Performance Plan
Included with every new instrument:
- Pre-Sale Set-Up
- Owner's Check-Up
- Minimum Three-Year Warranty
We aim to offer the best possible value for our products, taking into account our comprehensive choice, Perfect Performance Plan, service levels and expertise. Learn More/Price Match