Christmas Jazz for Flute and Piano, Volume 2Includes Online Audio
- Staff Pick
“A jazz-lovers festive treat!”
Your view on these jazz adaptations of standard Christmas carols will depend on whether or not you like a new twist on old favourites. What is for sure is that these are really good arrangements! The accompaniments are very important in this process as they drive the rhythms and harmonies, leaving the flute to sound fantastic over the top! In this volume, which is slightly harder than Volume One, The Ukranian Carol with it's bass and drums backing absolutely works and there is a beautiful twist to the hamony for the Holly and the Ivy. The written out improvisations can make you sound really professional - a jazzer's perfect festive treat!
From the Publisher
Christmas Jazz Volume 2 consists of five festive arrangements including smoochy ballads (The Holly and the Ivy, and Away in a manger, but also tunes with serious groove factor (O Holy Night - with a funk groove/cheeky quality with optional growl/flutter tongue), plus Ukrainian Folk Carol in a crazy swing style (you'll probably recognise it my a different name though ;), and Deck the halls (in a minor key, inspired by the beautiful music of Argentinian composer Astor Piazzolla). A set of demonstration (flute with backing), and backing tracks are included with the book (with either CD option, or via download using the link provided, or as PDF/MP3 edition sent to your email - please allow up to 48 hours for email delivery, although we usually try and send files same day, depending on which option you have chosen).
As well as featuring the original tune, each piece has an element of written out accessible flute solo; enabling you to sound like a pro. The pieces are not too advanced (although Ukrainian Folk Carol is perhaps around grade 6-7), and players of intermediate ability will be able to play all without any difficulty. Some, (Away in a manger, and The Holly and the Ivy for instance) are even more accessible; around grade 3-4.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Deck The Halls - Unusually arranged into a minor key, this beautiful carol oozes the musical style of Astor Piazzolla (Argentine Tango composer)
- The Holly and the Ivy - A smooth ballad which really starts to soar
- O Holy Night - A cheeky groove is present from the onset and fun call and response at times make for a light and enjoyable not so traditional carol
- Away In A Manger - We feel a real sense of journey with this arrangement, and some seriously smooshy areas give it a laid back mood
- Ukrainian Folk Carol - Funky, edgy, and probably the trickiest piece in the book, this is a great festive showpiece