Christmas Jazz for Flute and Piano, Volume 1Includes Online Audio
- Staff Pick
“A jazz-lovers festive treat!”
Your view on these jazz adaptations of standard Christmas carols will depend on whether or not you like a new twist on old favourites. What is for sure is that these are really good arrangements! The accompaniments are very important in this process as they drive the rhythms and harmonies, leaving the flute to sound fantastic over the top! In this volume God Rest Ye and Hark the Herald are rhythmically altered and Silent Night is turned into an old fashioned Hollywood ballade. The star is We Three Ships with its quirky accompaniment complete with sleigh bells! The written out improvisations can make you sound really professional - a budding jazzer's perfect festive treat!
From the Publisher
A delightful Jazz-inspired collection for flute and Piano with demo/backing tracks, by Chris Lawry and Keri Degg.
Christmas Jazz for flute (in C) Volume 1 consists of five festive arrangements including smoochy ballads (Silent Night, and The First Nowell (Noel) but also tunes with serious groove factor (God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen is one), plus I Saw Three Ships (complete with sleigh bells), and Hark The Herald (in 5/4 time). A set of demonstration (flute with backing), and backing tracks are included with the book (with either CD option, or via download using the link provided, depending on which option you have chosen).
As well as featuring the original tune, each piece has an element of written out accessible flute solo; enabling you to sound like a pro. The pieces are not too advanced, and players of intermediate ability will be able to play all without any difficulty. Some, (The First Nowell, and Silent Night for instance) are even more accessible; around grade 3-4.
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - A cool groove sets the scene for this catchy version of this festive favourite. A slinky swung original solo is also incorporated later on
- The First Nowell - Think gently falling snow, and crackling open fires as you enjoy this gentle jazz ballad (again, complete with new material)
- Hark the Herald Angels Sing (Swing) - This arrangement launches off in 5/4 time and playfully continues, aside from a brief excursion into a waltz
- Silent Night - Unashamedly smooshy with a beautifully lyrical new solo added. Enjoy exploring your expressive side in the slightly different 4/4 time
- I Saw Three Ships (On Christmas Night) - A jauntily joyous journey in its traditional 6/8 time format but with fresh new material added for extra sparkle and enjoyment