The Top Octave Book for Flute or Piccolo
Playing with Artistry
From the Publisher
Have you ever said, “I love my top octave?” If you are like most flute and piccolo players, the answer is no. The Top Octave Book is a methodical approach to playing with control and artistry in the third register. With exercises to develop the embouchure, conquer the fingering combinations, and develop control of the air stream, this book culminates with Barret’s 40 Progressive Melodies transposed up an octave, along with phrasing suggestions, to develop artistry and fluidity in the top register.
Finalist: NFA Newly Published Music Awards 2022
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Part 1: The Flute Top Octave Warmup
- Part 2: Top Octave Preparation
- Part 3: Advanced Top Octave Preparation
- Part 4: Phrasing Tips for 40 Progressive Melodies by A M Barret
- Part 5: 40 Progressive Melodies