Tone Development through Extended Techniques [Flute]
- Highly recommended
From the Publisher
Daily studies designed to enable the flutist to produce optimum resonance and to develop the embouchure strength and sensitivity to confidently play multiphonics, whisper tones, natural harmonics and other extended timbres while simultaneously developing the beauty, power, color and control of the tone for traditional music. An important feature is the unique presentation of “throat tuning” — a breakthrough technique for tone development.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Chapter One: Preliminary Studies
- Throat Tuning
- Natural Harmonics
- Whisper Tones
- Chapter Two: Extended Timbres
- Diffuse Tones
- Bright Tones
- 'Bamboo Scales'
- Timbral Trills
- Chapter Three: Multiphonics
- Minor 3rds, Major 6ths, Minor 6th
- Perfect 4ths
- Major 9ths and related intervals
- Perfect 5ths
- Small Intervals
- Intervals generated by 3rd octave regular fingerings
- Intervals generated by half-holing techniques