Rêverie: Romantic Original Works for Flute and Piano
- Staff Pick
“Difficult to resist.”
The succes of compilations entirely depends on its contents and this one has such a good spread of pieces it's difficult to resist. The familiarity of the Godard Suite and the Donizetti Sonata is complemented by gems such as the Ferdinand Silcher Variations, a great showpiece, and the lovely Rheinberger Rhapsody. Add in some Caplet, Kuhlau and the Suite by Theodoor Verhey and the book becomes not only interesting but very good value too.
From the Publisher
Rêverie – under the title of a typical Romantic character piece this collection brings together Romantic original works for flute and piano by Kulhau, Silcher, Donizetti, Rheinberger, Godard, Caplet, and Verhey. They are well within the capabilities of advanced amateurs, suitable for school concerts, youth music competitions and also for the repertoire of professional flautists. Autographs, historical manuscripts and first prints served as sources, as far as they have been handed down.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Kuhlau, Friedrich (1786–1832): Duo Brillant B-Dur/Bb major, op. 110/1 (1829)
- Silcher, Friedrich (1789–1860): Variationen über „Nel cor più non mi sento“
- Donizetti, Gaetano (1797–1848): Sonate C A 503; In.620 (1819)
- Rheinberger, Josef Gabriel (1839–1901): Rhapsodie H-Dur/B major WoO 27 (1857/1898)
- Godard, Benjamin (1849–1895): Suite de trois morceaux op. 116 (1890)
- Caplet, André (1878–1925): Feuillets d’album (c. 1900)
- Verhey, Theodoor (1848–1929): Suite op. 60 (1912)