Ornamentation: A Question and Answer Manual
- Staff Pick
“Worth a look.”
If you are really serious about understanding the process of melodic decoration this book will definitely be worth a look. The format of question and answer results in mainly bite-size pieces of information which range from basic facts such as how is an ornament written through to the more complex issues of style and execution. The chapter on Art and Architecture is more substantially covered and is an interesting read in its own right. The teaching strategies section is also helpful, especially for novices and all musical periods from the Baroque onwards are covered. This is not a ground-breaking volume but it does focus on this one topic which is always useful.
From the Publisher
This guide to understanding ornamentation in each era of music includes information on how to understand and remain faithful to the composer's intention, how many and which notes to use in each ornament, how to integrate ornaments smoothly into a performance and simple strategies and systems for realizing and practicing ornaments. A synthesis of years of scholarly research resulting in a logical, easy to follow, and accurate volume.
- Answering Your Questions about Ornamentation
- An Overview of the Influence of Art and Architecture on the Development of Music
- Ornamentation in the Baroque Era
- Ornamentation in the Classical Era
- Ornamentation in the Romantic Era
- Ornamentation in the Contemporary Era
- A Procedure for Realizing Ornaments and Strategies for Effective Practising
- Add Ornamentation to Baroque Music