Keyboard Works Book 2
Approved Exam Music
Recommended for the following exam grade(s):
From the Publisher
Handel Keyboard Works Volume 2 (HWV 434-442)
Second Set of 1733. Suites de Pieces pour le Clavecin
The two collections of suites that Handel himself issued in 1720 and 1733 form the main pillars of his keyboard music. For Handel, the suite was a self-contained genre with a cyclic formal design. Thus, although indebted to the sequence of movements customary at the time, each suite in these two collections has distinctive features all of its own.
This new edition by the renowned Handel scholar Terence Best draws on Peter Northway’s ground-breaking volume of 1970. Many new discoveries have made it necessary to thoroughly revise Northway’s work. All these research findings have been incorporated in our volume along with the Urtext from the “Halle Handel Edition”.
The volume also contains an informative appendix with alternative versions and movements that Handel withdrew before publication. This comprehensive edition of the 1733 collection is rounded off with a detailed preface, thereby creating a new edition that satisfies every prerequisite for professional performances at the highest level.
- Urtext based on the “Halle Handel Edition”
- Comprehensive edition of Handel’s keyboard works Volumes I-IV (BA 4221-4224)
- Detailed introductory text with notes on performance practice (Ger/Eng)
- Based on the latest Handel research findings
1. Suite B Major HWV 434 [Handel, George Frideric]
2. Chaconne G Major with 21 Variations HWV 435 [Handel, George Frideric]
3. Suite D Minor HWV 436 [Handel, George Frideric]
4. Suite D Minor HWV 437 [Handel, George Frideric]
5. Suite E Minor HWV 438 [Handel, George Frideric]
6. Suite G Minor HWV 439 [Handel, George Frideric]
7. Suite B-flat Major HWV 440 [Handel, George Frideric]
8. Suite G Major HWV 441 [Handel, George Frideric]
9. Prélude et Chaconne G Major with 62 Variations HWV 442 [Handel, George Frideric]