Approved Exam Music
Recommended for the following exam grade(s):
Grades: 5, 6, 7, 8
From the Publisher
Hat Box is a celebration of the town of Stockport, home to recorder virtuoso John Turner, to whom (with guitarist Neil Smith) this piece is dedicated. Stockport was formerly the centre of the hat-manufacturing industry, and gave its name to the hymn-tune Stockport written by 18th century Stockport organist John Wainwright for the carol Christians awake, salute the happy morn. The eight hats depicted in this suite refer to phrases from Wainwrights famous tune.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Top Hat Quadrille (descant)
- Breton Beret - valse melancolique (treble)
- Mexican Hat Dance (descant)
- Smokey Stetson Shuffle (tenor)
- Deerstalker's Jig (descant)
- Baseball Cap Stomp (descant)
- Best Bonnet Waltz (descant)
- Cloth Cap Galop (treble & sopranino)