Great Flute Duos from the Orchestral Repertoire [Playing score]
- Staff Pick
“A valuable book.”
Here are all the important 2-flute extracts in two separate books, with a further book for the alto flute player. All the examples are easy to find in all three books and there are directions for performance for each of the parts. Although you can find all of this music elsewhere, It is nice to have it all in one place and so it's valuable for that alone.
From the Publisher
Jeanne Baxtresser’s philosophy could be expressed in a very simple phrase: “Lead with your playing and inspire with your attitude.” 15 years of experience as the solo flutist for the New York Philharmonic taught Baxtresser that becoming a valued and effective member of a flute section, in any position, requires high artistic standards and instrumental mastery. Equally important is the ability to work with people. This book is meant to provide a resource that would serve the dual purpose of preparing flutists for an audition and the job of playing second flute in an orchestra. This crucially important position in a woodwind section is worthy of thoughtful preparation and dedication.In these duos, you will be able to practice the skills of musical leadership that are so vital to becoming the kind of leader your colleagues and conductors will value.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- JS Bach: Magnificat, B minor Mass, Matthew Passion
- Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra
- Hector Louis Berlioz: L'Enfance du Christ
- Bizet: Carmen, L'Arlesienne
- Brahms: Symphonies 1 and 2 and Variations on a Theme of Haydn
- Debussy: L'Apres Midi
- Dvorak: New World Symphony
- Maurice Ravel: Alborado, Daphnis, Le Tombeau. Mother Goose
- Nikolai Rimsky Korsakov: Scheherazade
- Bedrich Smetana: The Moldau
- Dmitri Shostakovich:Symphonies 5, 10, 13
- Sergei Prokofieff: Symphony No 1 'Classical'
- Felix Mendelssohn: Nottorno from Midsummer Night's Dream, Italian Symphony
- Gustav Holst: the Planets
- Benjamin Britten: Young Person's Guide
- Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4 and 5 and Suite No 3
- Richard Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel
- Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
- Verdi: Rigoletto