The main point about the Flute Zoo series of beginners books is that they are aimed at very young players who will absolutely love the fun presentation style. The pages are different colours, there are pictures and diagrammes galore, activities, plenty of headjoint work and rhythm teaching using lego. It's all set out logically and the progress rate is just right for this level. All the tunes are about animals both cuddly and scary which is also very engaging. Kathy Blocki has a great pedigree and her Blocki Flute Method and the Pnuemo Pro are both very successful. This will be too!
From the Publisher
The Flute Zoo Books are fun, exciting, and engaging books that allow a slower walk through the award-winning Blocki Flute Method Book 1. These books, with their bright colors and cheerful imagery, were written with young flute students in mind, although we have found that older children love the fun songs and activities as well! After working through all four Flute Zoo books, students will be ready to start in Blocki Flute Method Book 2. The Blocki Flute method was designed to give the beginner an excellent foundation in beautiful tone, embouchure flexibility, rhythm and technique. This comprehensive and step-by-step approach was written to ensure success and includes theory and composition projects.
Tone and Flexibility: The method is designed so students can play in both octaves without having to read the notes in both octaves. This is an incredibly important aspect of teaching beginners. Teaching flute is not like teaching trumpet in which the high notes are more difficult. High notes become difficult when students only play in the low and middle octaves for as much as one year. The students then have trouble with embouchure flexibility, and the ability to form a smaller lip opening.
- Begins with several pages of head joint exercises to develop great tone before balancing the whole flute.
- Emphasizes flexibility between octaves
- Large print makes it easier to learn note reading.
- Fun composition pages reinforce what the student is learning. Ex. After learning eighth notes a composition project of Theme and Variations on Yankee Doodle is used to reinforce the concept of changing between quarter and eighth notes.
- Tons of Duets (The teacher's part is in the Supplementary Duet Book I)
Winner: NFA Newly Published Music Awards 2022