“Beautifully presented by a Baroque authority”
Without doubt this is the definitive edition of these Quantz sonatas. Rachel Brown is a leading authority on works of this period and these beautifully presented volumes are bursting with her enthusiasm and scholarship. Each one contains 2 copies of the score for flute and cello, a keyboard part and a reproduction of the facsimile. There is also a wealth of information in her performance notes, covering use of accidentals, rhythm, tempo, ornamentation, articulation and cadenzas. Everything here is just as it should be and every flute player should have a copy!
From the Publisher
These exhilarating works were composed for Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, and have remained in his private collection, largely unknown, since the eighteenth century. Now published for the first time, these choicest pieces may, at last, assume their rightful position in the core flute repertoire.
This Urtext edition presents:
- flute and bass parts together
- performance notes by Rachel Brown
- keyboard realization of the figured bass by Terence Charlston
- facsimile reproduction of original manuscripts
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Sonata in B minor, No. 267 QV1: 169
- Sonata in Eb major, No. 348 QV1: 54
- Sonata in B minor, No. 231 QV1: 168
- Sonata in G minor, No. 336 QV1: 126
- Sonata in A major, No. 351 QV1: 143
- Sonata in F major, No. 356 QV1: 82