Flute Perfect to Grade 1 - Pupil's Book
- Staff Pick
“New flute tutor - fresh approach!”
The Flute Tutor market is crowded and often bewildering. There is almost too much choice, with different approaches, starting notes, rates of progress, type of repertoire and even the quality of the publication all jousling for our attention.
This book has several major advantages. Firstly the layout is relatively simple and uncluttered. The black and white illustrations are usually pertinent and if they are decorative they add to the page rather than detract from it. Secondly, each chapter introduces a single note and each tune or exercise has a clear purpose. Thirdly, and most importantly, rhythm, aural awareness and making a good sound are given a very high priority throughout. This makes total sense but is quite often missing in the dash for learning ever more notes faster. A further plus is that the book is designed for both individual and group tuition. This is supported by the excellent Teacher's Book which contains comprehensive teaching notes as well as ensembles and piano accompaniments.
At the heart of this book is a clear desire to encourage and nurture young players. It is written by two people who are passionate about the whole process and it really shows. They are astute enought to price it well too, so it's excellent value for money. Give it a try - you will find it at the very least a useful addition to your teaching bag and it may end up as the only tutor in it!
From the Publisher
Welcome to Flute Perfect!
Flute Perfect aims to be a fresh and enjoyable way to learn the flute. It will guide you through all the skills you need to play the flute well. The book progresses at a gentle pace to give you time to learn easily. Starred pieces are the ones we suggest you might like to perform for family and friends. We have packed in a good number of activities to develop your all-round musicianship.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Sounds Beautiful: tone development
- Timed Say And Play: timed note recognition
- I've Got Rhythm: developing rhythm and inner pulse
- Articulate: practising different ways of playing notes
- Scale The Heights, Scale Down, Arpeggios: Learning scales and arpeggios in careful stages
- Memorise: Memorising to help you perform fluently
- Activities: developing ensemble playing, musicianship and theoretical knowledge
- Perform: strategies for memorising and performing music
- Practice Bars: ideas for structured practice
- Finger Twister: Finger exercises to help your fingers move quicker
- High Jumps: practising lip flexibility for a good sound in all registers
- Read: develop sight-reading skills