Five Miniature Sound-Paintings for Bass Flute and Piano
- Uses extended techniques
From the Publisher
These miniature "sound-paintings" represent imaginary paintings that the listener can create in their minds from the music. The titles of each are descriptive to aid the imagination...
- "Bells in the Mist" - it might be an image of parish church bells echoing across a meadow in the mist or warning bells during a fog at sea...
- "Kandinskoscope" - a contemporary painting of colour and vibrancy by Kandinsky.
- "Waves" - could be a painting of waves at sea - or the waves of a sand-dune - or waves of light or sound......
- "The Darkling Flame" - an old oil painting - glimpses of old faces by candle light - ancient instruments - wood - varnish.....
- "Sparks Fly" - maybe a painting of fireworks - or a blast furnace - or sparks of electricity - you decide
Five Miniature Sound Paintings uses a large range of new flute sounds - tongue pizzicato, breath sounds, circular breathing, singing, harmonics, glissandi - plus new piano techniques of harmonics played on the strings.
Performance duration (approx): 10'
- Bells in the Mist: Duration 2'15
- Kandinskoscope: 2'15
- Waves: 1'50
- The Darkling Flame: 1'20
- Sparks Fly: 1'50