Flute Music for Flute and Basso Continuo, Vol 2: Pre-Classical
Edited by Peter-Lukas Graf
From the Publisher
The second volume of our collection describes the road from the Baroque to Classicism. Along with sonatas with independent piano parts, composers continued to cultivate the sonata with thoroughbass accompaniment. However, this is the period in which melodies were gradually transformed from Baroque rhetoric to classical symmetry. The two sonatas by Johann Baptist Vanhal printed here represent both the earlier and later varieties. While the first appears in a Baroque guise, the second offers dynamic markings and differentiations in tempo and expression – signs of the new path that can be followed using the treasure trove contained in this Urtext edition.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Schroter Sonata in F Major, Op4/2
- Wendling Sonata in E minor. Op4/5
- Nicolai Sonata in G Major, Op6/1
- Vanhal Sonata in A Major, Op10/4
- Vanhal Sonata in D Major, Op17/1
- Benda Sonata in E Major, Op5/3
- Hoffmeister Sonata in D Major, Op21/1
- Devienne Sonata in G Major, Op58/5