Approved Exam Music
Recommended for the following exam grade(s):
From the Publisher
The new Flute syllabus (for use in exams from January 2022) covers a broad selection of music from a wide range of composers. Developed using feedback from over 600 teachers, it will include newly commissioned pieces as well as retaining tried and tested favourites that teachers will be delighted to see as still part of the syllabus.
The Flute Exam Pieces for Grades 1-7 contains nine pieces (score and part) selected from the new Flute syllabus from 2022. The chosen pieces include newly commissioned works as well as classic repertoire, chosen from lists A, B and C of the syllabus for each grade.
Unique download codes give students access to recordings of the nine selected pieces, performed by leading professional musicians, as well as piano accompaniment tracks to support practice.
The books are ideal for learners preparing for Practical or Performance Grade exams or those who may not require the scales and sight-reading material included in the alternative Flute Exam Packs.
This book contains nine pieces selected from ABRSM's 2022-2025 Grade 2 Flute syllabus.
Performance duration (approx): 32
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Menuet II: from Music for the Royal Fireworks, HWV 351 [George Frideric Handel, arr. Nancy Littem]
- Study in D major: from Complete Method for the Flute, Part 1, Op. 53 [Heinrich Soussmann]
- The Arethusa [Trad. British sailor's song, arr. David Blackwell]
- Theme from Berceuse: from Dolly, Op. 56 [Gabriel Fauré, arr. David Blackwell]
- Once Upon a Time [Karen Tanaka]
- Shaker Melody [Trad. American, arr. Peter Gritton]
- We're off to see the wizard: from The Wizard of Oz [Harold Arlen & Edgar Yipsel Harburg, arr. Nikki Iles]
- Circus Rag [Cecilia McDowall]
- Cat Walk: from Really Easy Jazzin' About [Pam Wedgwood]