21st Century Masterworks: Eleven Pieces for Flute Alone
- Staff Pick
There's a wide spectrum of styles in this book that will keep anyone interested in contemporary music happy for ages! Most of the pieces are in one short movement and although there are definitely some very challenging works here there are some more approachable ones too.Those who know Jennifer Higdon's work will definitly enjoy her more lyrical 'Song', 'Home' by Leanna Keith is fascinating with it's extensive use of modern techniques, and for something to soothe the soul try Gay Kahkonen's 'Kyrie'. Fran Griffin's 'Blackheath is beautiful and each of its three movements would make a lovely solo.The more ususual is represented by Sarah Bassingthwaighte's 'Left Alone', written for the left hand only and 'revamper' by Anna La Barge which is based predominantly on a low B. Rich pickings indeed!
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- The Flicker (Vivian Fine, 1973)
- Oiseau de la Vie/Bird of Life (Vally Weigl, 1979)
- revamper (Anne La Berge, 1992)
- Song (Jennifer Higdon, 1995)
- Spirit Man (Margaret Fairlie-Kennedy, 2003)
- Songs from the Willow (Cathy Collinge Herrera, 2018)
- Blackheath (Fran Griffin, 2020)
- Left Behind (Sarah Bassingthwaighte, 2021)
- Kyrie (Gary Kahkonen, 2021)
- Mood Swings (Judy Nishimura, 2021)
- Home (Leanna Keith, 2021)