150 Gems of Irish Music for FluteIncludes Online Audio [Score only]
From the Publisher
Grey Larsen, in the 150 Gems collections, has given us a most welcome follow-up to his encyclopedic volume, The Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle (Mel Bay Publications, 2003) and The Essential Tin Whistle Toolbox (Mel Bay Publications, 2004). The Gems feature not only meticulously-selected tunes, but represent the first major offerings that use Larsen's innovative system of notating Irish ornamentation. These books and online audio will help players gain a deeper understanding of the Irish musical tradition as well as provide new material to enhance the experience of the solo player and Irish session participant alike. Includes access to online audio.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- 150 jigs, reels, hornpipes, slip jigs, slides and other type of Irish tunes
- Irish session favourites
- Lesser-known tunes to broaden your repertoire
- 3 Chapters to guide you through ornamenttion, breathing and phrasing, modes and notations
- Audio recordings containing all 150 tunes played by the author, p,lus musical examples from each of the chapters
- 94 'flute friendly' tunes that fit the flute like a glove
- 28 tunes for flute which originated with non-wind instruments such as fiddle and accordian
- 28 tunes for flute that use flats and sharps not usually encountered
- 8 tune settings for Irish flutes that are made in keys other than D