Flute Solos from the Paris Conservatoire
Edited by Martha Rearick
- Editor's Choice
Seventeen short solos for flute and piano by eleven composers associated with the Paris Conservatory comprise this collection. Not as difficult as the "morceaux de concours", they are charming and descriptive - a welcome addition to the repertoire for the intermediate level flutist. Composers include Pessard, Tulou, Altes, Duvernoy, and others. Interesting historical notes and a Foreword by Martha Rearick are special features of the collection.
This is a real flute-player's book as it's full of pieces associated with the Paris Conservatoire and written between 1850 and 1920. These are not the block-busters but smaller gems that have largely been forgotten. The list of composers included looks like a Who's Who of flute players of the day - Tulou, Altes, Hennebains etc - and each piece is relatively short but unmistakeably French. Some, like Tityre by Dubois are well-known but mostly they will be unfamiliar. All aspects of flute technique are challenged, from the beauiful melody in Leroux First Romance to fingerwork in the Lefebvre Scherzo but the relative brevity of the pieces will enable players to assimilate the style more easily. Additionally the editor Martha Rearick has supplied backgound information about each composer and included some wonderful illustrations.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Tulou Souvenir de Theatre Italien
- Altes Romanza Opp 33 No 1
- Boisdeffre Canzonetta Op 39 No 8
- Duvorney Deux Morceaux: Lamento Op 41 No 1/ Intermezzo Op 41 No 2
- Dubois Tityre from Poemes Virgiliens
- Pessard Troisieme Piece Op 28/Quatrieme Piece Op 75
- Lefebvre Scherzo Op 72 No 2
- Hennebains Reverie-Caprice
- Leroux Premiere Romance/Deuxieme Romance
- Catherine Barcarolle/Serenade Melancolique
- Guiraud Legende et Danse Slaves/Scherzetto-Valse/Reverie Tendre
- Part 1: Flute
- Part 2: Piano
Publisher: Falls House Press
Publisher's reference: FPMR8
Our Stock Code: 1110111
Media Type: Paperback