From the Publisher
25 Great Flute Solos is a collection of some of the most renowned and significant flute solos/melodies ever recorded. Compared to saxophone and guitar solos, flute solos are uncommon in pop musi. (Extensive investigation was required just to find these 25!) But some of these songs and melodies are classics; famous, recognizable, and ones you could hear almost anywhere in the world. Others may become the new standard in flute solo repertoire. And for the person who has always wanted to learn these famous flute melodies ('licks'), it is all here.
These solos/songs were chosen using various criteria: popularity, acquirable publishing rights, musical content, and familiarity. Others were chosen for being worthy, if unknown solos. Some are short and easy. Some are difficult. Some require advance flute chops, while others are at a level that even a beginner can attempt.
Exhaustive research was done to provide accurate biographical material, as well as vital information about the solos, equipment, recording, musicians, and players. In some instances, data could not be found or was otherwise unavailable.
A few solos are performed on piccolo. If you don't own one, playing the excerpts on a C flute will work just as well. Known that the music will sound an octave lower than the recording.
There are two online audio versions for each solo - a demo track with the solo flute and a backing track without the solo flute.
Difficulty level, roughly compared to ABRSM exam grades. 0 is beginner, 9 is advanced (beyond grade 8).
- Rockin' Robin (Plas Johnson)
- Soul Bossa Nova (Roland Kirk)
- Stubborn Kind of Fellow (Thomas 'Beans' Bowles)
- California Dreamin' (Bud Shank
- Nights in White Satin (Ray Thomas)
- Going Up the Country (Jim Horn)
- I Talk to the Wind (Ian McDonald)
- Sweet Cherry Wine (Unknown)
- Freedom Rider (Chris Wood)
- Moondance (Collin Tilton)
- Colour My World (Walter Parazaider)
- Everyone (Collin Tilton)
- So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright (Unknown)
- So Far Away (Curtis Amy)
- Solitude (Tony Iommi)
- Locomotive Breath (Ian Anderson)
- Road Ode (Bob Messenger)
- Take the Highway (Jerry Eubanks)
- The Hustle (Phil Bodner)
- Sing Child (Ann Wilson)
- Suspicions (Ernie Watts)
- Somewhere in Time (DavidShostic)
- Down Under (Greg Ham)
- One Night in Bangkok (Bjorn J:son Lindh)
- Anchorman 'Jazz Flute' (Katisse Buckingham)
- Part 1: Flute
Publisher: Hal Leonard
Publisher's reference: HL00140928
Our Stock Code: 1413458
Media Type: Paperback (59 pages [score]); includes accompaniment Digital Download