Powell .925 Solid Custom Handmade Flute
Perfect Performance Plan
Included with every new instrument:
- Pre-Sale Set-Up
- Owner's Check-Up
- Three-Year Warranty
The Powell .925 Solid Custom Handmade flute has superb projection and clarity of sound over the range of the flute. Weightier and slightly more resistant than the Handmade Conservatory, this flute has a big sound with a large dynamic range.
- Philharmonic: A more traditional cut, capable of broad dynamic ranges, and creating a deep rich tone with extraordinary carrying power and focus.
- Soloist: Open and free in the top octave, rich and deep in the middle and bottom octaves, with great projection and flexibility.
- Venti: Very colourful and rich headjoint designed in conjunction with Paul Edmund Davies. It is open, has a large dynamic range, and possesses an especially free high register.
In 1916, Verne Powell joined the Wm. S. Haynes Company to make wooden flutes and piccolos. By 1926, Powell was the shop foreman at Haynes and was running much of the business. Later that year, he left Haynes to make his own flutes. In 1927, Verne Q. Powell Flutes, Inc. was incorporated at 265 Huntington Drive in Boston, Massachusetts. In 1961, Powell sold his company to four employees who ran the company until 1984 when two employees, Jim Phelan and Rob Viola, became the owners. In 1986 Steven Wasser bought the shares belonging to Mr. Viola and gained controlling ownership. Jim Phelan left the company in 1989 to pursue other interests, and Mr. Wasser became the full owner. Each Powell flute has a unique character, yet all bear a family resemblance. They are made with care to exacting tolerances. Ultimately, a Powell flute is crafted to a high musical performance standard.
Hover over the styled text for a short definition, or click for a more detailed explanation.
- Fully handmade .925 solid headjoint, body and mechanism
- Custom headjoint, with choice of cut: Boston, Philharmonic, Soloist or Venti
- Soldered tone holes
- 10k white gold springs
- French-style 'pointed' key-arms
- Straubinger pads
- E ring as standard, with the option to upgrade this to an E mechanism on the offset model
- Includes leather-bound wood case, leather case cover and maintenance materials
- Also available in 14k Aurumite
Item DetailsManufacturer: Powell
Category: Solid Throughout Flutes