From the Publisher
Schubert’s tuneful and buoyant Sonata in G major was published in April 1827 as a “Fantasy or Sonata”, to quote the heading of its first movement. His first reviewer noted that “the beloved and talented Lieder composer has presented the music world with a fantasy in which he lets his inventiveness loose. He presents the pianist with a harmonic indulgence without however amassing too many difficulties to complicate the execution”.
Our scholarly-critical Urtext edition, based on the definitive New Schubert Edition, presents the sonata in a spacious new engraving with practical page turns. The work is introduced by an updated Foreword (Ger/Eng) and detailed notes on key questions of performance practice, e.g. pedalling and Schubert’s characteristic way of writing accents. Rounding off the edition is a Critical Commentary (Eng) containing alternative readings of relevance to the performer. Schubert’s rejected initial version of the second movement can be accessed via the Barenreiter website.
- Scholarly-critical Urtext editions based on the New Schubert Edition
- Spacious new engravings with practical page turns
- Detailed notes on historical performance practice (Ger/Eng)
- Updated Forewords (Ger/Eng) and Critical Commentaries (Eng)
- Schubert’s rejected versions of individual movements accessible online
- Part 1: Piano
Publisher: Bärenreiter - Urtext
Publisher's reference: BA9615
Our Stock Code: 1416237
Media Type: Paperback (52 pages [score])