There are a number of very well-known precedents for the idea of playing Bach with a jazz feel. Mike Cornick in this volume has spread the net a little wider and has included examples from Handel, Couperin, Petzold, and Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach as well as from J. S. Bach himself.
Several different approaches have been adopted in the arrangements. The easier pieces, many taken from the Clavierbüchlein der Anna Magdalena Bach, are adapted in style to Latin or Swing, two Bach Sarabandes (from French Suite No. 1 and English Suite No. 2) both retain their original "A" sections, whilst the "B" sections have been subtly replaced with beautiful jazz solos. Handel's The Harmonious Blacksmith provides surprise after surprise with five definitely new variations in place of the originals! This volume of pieces will provide enormous pleasure to players from grades 3 - 6 and upwards as well as to their audiences.
- Petzold, Christian: Menuet BWV Anh. 114
- Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel: Marche BWV Anh. 122
- Bach, Johann Sebastian: Sarabande BWV 812
- Anonymus: Musette BWV Anh. 126
- Couperin, François: L'epineuse
- Händel, Georg Friedrich: Air with Variations "The Harmonious Blacksmith"
- Bach, Johann Sebastian: Sarabande BWV 807
- Bach, Johann Sebastian: Musette BWV 808
- Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel: Polonoise BWV Anh. 125
Item DetailsCategory: Popular & Jazz Piano Albums
Publisher: Universal Edition
Publisher's reference: UE21315
Our Stock Code: 1065763
Media Type: Paperback